Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Atlantic

·        Atlantic, G. Brian Karas, Natural Science
·        G. Brian Karas has written scores of children’s books.
·        I grew up by the ocean and consider it to be one of the best elements of our planet.
·        Some talk topics:
o       The book is narrated from the point of view of the Atlantic Ocean.
o       The reader is taken on a tour through the ocean systems and the water cycle in a clear, understandable way.
o       The book shows how humans affect the oceans and how  much responsibility we have to care for them for our own good and the good of the planet.
o       I liked how the importance of the oceans was shown on so many different levels.
“First I was discovered
(even though I was here first)
and then conquered
by men in big ships
who named me
I’ve been crosses and probed,
charted,
studied,
dirtied."
o       I would recommend this book for young children (K-3) and would use it as a resource for science lessons.


images taken from- http://tomakeaprairie.wordpress.com/2011/11/ and http://greenslibrary.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/atlantic-by-g-brian-karas/

6 comments:

  1. I am with you! The ocean is my absolute favorite!! I find it interesting that the book is told from the point of view of the ocean, I have never read a book like that before. I think this book would be great to use, especially in a state like NM where there is no ocean. Since it's something that the children don't see often, it can be easy for them to not be familiar with it and how important it is to take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a fun book to read. you could do a segment on the ocean and read this book to your class. I agree with nikki if you teach in NM you may get students who are not familiar with the ocean but it is still something that they should get to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like there are some great discussion points and I love that you shared some of those points with us. If I was a teacher looking for a science book to share with my students and I saw your blog post you would have won me over! It sounds like an interesting book and you have just had the most interesting topics for these blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book seems different, and you are probably right in using it for a science experiment, and I think that it is a great idea maybe more for 3rd graders because they are able to understand more, and this book seems a little detailed to understand the water system, but then again I would personally have to read it to understand it. I think this is a great book to get children active as well to help save the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you were giving your book talk about this book, I was so intrigued by the way the story is told. You wouldn't normally think that non-fiction stories would be very interesting but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I really love that this is told from the perspective of the nature that is described. I know I would like to use a story like this one or even this very book in my classroom someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. During your book talk this week I really enjoyed how the story was told through the point of view of the ocean. I think this would be a fun book to read to younger kids when discussing the environment. The illustrations were wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete