Thursday, February 7, 2013

Carnaval



  • Carnaval, George Ancona, Social Studies
  • Other books by George Ancona include: Mayeros: A Maya Yucatec Family, Capoeira, Earth Daughte, Piñata Maker, and Barrio: José’s Neighborhood
·         I’m obsessed with Brazil: its culture, language, geography, and history. I loved to see the vibrant pictures of this cultural phenomenon. Curiously, my brother just came home from Brazil this week and told me that he had visited Olinda, that he liked it a lot, and that he heard it is the best place to go for the authentic Carnaval experience!
·         A lot of Portuguese vocabulary is included in the text which I would have a great time exploring with my students.

Some talk topics:

o       This book takes a documentary-style look at the carnaval festival in Olinda, Brazil.
o       It is mainly a photo exposition (with explanations) of many of the townsfolk and their preparations for the festival, as well as of the festival while it is happening.
o       Through the pictures and discriptions we get an intmiate view of the city’s customary music, costumes, handicrafts, and festivities that surround the carnaval season.
o       I loved the sense that I was looking through a spyglass at a fascinating culture that is so different from my own.
o       It’s always good to learn about other people, cultures, and places!

Here are a couple of pictures of Olinda!



1 comment:

  1. Good job! I like how you organized this blog. I like how you connect your love and fascination with Brazil to this book. I would like to have an example of how the author wrote about the festive scenes in the book though. Otherwise great job!

    ReplyDelete